Zinc Alloy 5 / ZL 5 / ZL0410 / ZnAl4Cu1 (EN1774 Standard Ingot)
ZL0410 has the same composition as zamak 3 with the addition of 1% copper in order to increase strength (by approximately 10%), hardness and corrosive resistance, but reduces ductility. It also has less dimensional accuracy Zamak 5 is more commonly used in Europe.
Coating capability is good. It has few errors of dimension. It is especially used in accessories and automobile industry.
• Zamak 5 is more readily plated, finished, and machined than Alloy 3
• When a measure of tensile performance is needed, ZL-5 castings are recommended.
• It has a higher copper content than Zamak 3, which results in higher strength
• It has less ductility (increased elongation) than Zamak 3
• Manufacturer must keep in mind that this reduction in ductility can affect formability during secondary operations such as bending, riveting, swaging, and crimping operations